The Study Group on Language at the United Nations, in cooperation with the Centre for Research and Documentation on World Language Problems, invites you to contribute to a symposium on “language and exclusion” on Thursday, May 7, 2015, at the Church Center (777 United Nations Plaza) from 9:15 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The organizers welcome proposals for brief 20-minute papers on topics such as the following:
- Language policy in international organizations
- Language parity in international settings
- Language use at, and by, the United Nations
- Language as a factor in sustainable development
- Language and human rights
- Discrimination on grounds of language
- Language and the post-2015 development agenda
- The role of language in international peacekeeping
- Language and globalization
- Language and minority rights
- Mother-tongue education
- NGOs and language policy
Please send proposals (200 words or less) to the chair of the symposium organizing committee, Prof. Humphrey Tonkin, at firstname.lastname@example.org, by February 13, 2015. The committee expects to make final decisions on the program by March 1.